Monday, February 4, 2008

Not So Super Sunday

Super Bowl Sunday. Really, what’s so Super about it? I always make it a point to leave the house as early as possible because I really can’t take the ten hours of hype. Honestly after the first hour, what is there left to talk about? Big Man and I were having a discussion with Darlin’ at the Golf course about the difference between all the pre-hype for the Super Bowl and all the pre-hype for Daytona, which I’ll sit through for hours and hours. You see Daytona has 43 DIFFERENT teams trying to win, not two. Every car has a story, especially the ones in the back. I really can’t wait to see if James Hylton will make the race this year at the young age of 73! Please, oh PLEASE hurry up and get here NASCAR.
It wasn’t an eventful Sunday, but if I don’t blog about something this page is gonna be pretty darn dull, now isn’t it? We decided to keep Darlin’ company out at the clubhouse. Kind of a good thing we did too, since it was a tad on the slow side. She wanted to impress us with her culinary skills in the wing making department. I was curious how this was going to go, since what she passes off as a kitchen is not what I would call a kitchen. Long story short, she passed with flying colors. I have to admit the chili-lime was a flavor I’d never tried before and one that I’d recommend.
Now I have to admit, I like Darlin’ cuz she’s been in every bar around here, just like Mikey and I. She’s qualified to join in the discussions involving why there are no really good bars left in town and why we have to search so hard for good bartenders in a town whose main industry is hospitality. It’s always been my dream to someday own a bar and run it the right way… yes that would mean absolutely NO NOTRE DAME fans….EVER!!! I think Darlin’ would be the kinda gal who would fit right in to my place. All these crawls and articles for the paper are hopefully setting me up to someday steal all the good people in town and run the Chucky Cheese of all bars.
We did talk Darlin into following us to Nav-A-gator for a few cold ones and a chance to say hi to Jess the elf who was my bartender of the month. Oh yes, she’d get recruited too. LunchBox and I like the Nav-A-Gator, it’s just too far out to be a regular hangout. If someone has the time, maybe you can explain to me why in a town the size of Port Charlotte, we can’t have one decent bar to hang out and have fun in? One decent sports bar where the staff and customers have the intelligence to talk sports. One bar where everybody knows your name… where a beer is waiting for you…where you don’t have to tell them what channel the game’s on. A bar where we can bet the coin flip, the over under on the anthem, and what Tom Petty’s last song will be. A bar where you can get a good pit beef sandwich without blowing the weekly budget. A bar where you can get good chili lime wings?
If anybody out there has money lying around and wants to get into the bar business, Lunchbox and I are willing to put in 23 hours a day, 7 days a week if you’ll let us make it the kind of place we’d want to hang out in. We promise to have midget night once a month where drinks are half off for anyone under 5 feet tall. We promise to have food auctions and politically incorrect drink specials. We promise to always have good music playing, which means NO jukebox. Customers are allowed to suggest music but can not be trusted to CHOOSE music. We promise to bet on anything that moves. We promise to keep a running list everyday involving some random joke. At present, we are still compiling people we would vote for BEFORE Hillary Clinton. Paris Hilton is beating out one of the American Gladiators for the top spot right now… with my personal favorite of Carol Channing close behind. We promise to be silly and playful everyday and to throw out anyone who doesn’t want to play along.
Any takers?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah man, Notre Dame sucks! My ex wife was a ND fan.