Friday, February 29, 2008

Curse of a Superhero?

I’m struggling over the title…

Should it be Curse of a Superhero
or Karma
or Timing?

I think bad timing is a curse; karma is a thing of faith. If you do whatever crappy thing you want to and things work in your favor every time, you probably don’t think much about karma or timing. If you constantly do the right thing and nothing works the way it should, you think about it quite a bit.

…. and after you think about karma, it seems to eventually lead back to timing.

I’d really like some feedback on this one… I think I’m chasing my tail?

As a superhero, I HAVE to believe in karma. If I didn’t, why would I do the good deeds? I wouldn’t continue to help the downtrodden….the oppressed… the needy…. the huddled masses. I’d stop letting mom-mom go first at the four way stop. There would be chaos.

And THAT my friend… is the curse.

Are Box and I superheroes because of the curse? Are we cursed because we are superheroes? Chicken? Egg? Aren’t all comic superheroes cursed or in internal turmoil of some sort?

Lately, I have been thinking about timing and choices, as a number of my close friends are doing. Why do some people get away unscathed after doing unspeakable acts…see politicians/ Murdock Village… and some of us get burned every time on the slightest marginal decision? Why do some people not see the obvious choices right in front of them? Why do some people continue to travel down the wrong path, even though everyone around can tell them they are making a huge mistake? Why do some people just never seem to win, while others seem to win every time, even though they didn’t even pay for their ticket?

Is it karma or just bad timing… or are they just superheroes in disguise?

I don’t remember seeing them at the meetings.

The question tonight that started it all was why I don’t have a full time job….

The answer was that I can’t afford it. It seems I am the only human who gets a W-2 with a negative income. You see I have the unique ability to magically find these jobs that take all my effort while actually costing me money. Honestly, if you figure my hours in on some of these jobs and time worked, the children of China laugh at me.

Ah… the examples…

I once worked for free for two weeks helping to manage a bar, promised a job at the end of the term. Granted… it was my idea to do it for free (of course it was… (superhero)!...duh). After the two weeks and extra hours… the bar closed.

I’ve done countless catering jobs, where I’ve lost money, because I wanted the function to be successful, even though the person throwing it was not as concerned as I was.

I’ve offered to help people out of binds time after time…always successful, always not for profit, always struggling to get paid to break even at best... always ending poorly.

I’ve done literally hundreds of artwork jobs for free.

I’ve done print jobs where I’ve put up the time, the money, the art and the labor…

And lost money.

I’ll do just about anything for a free beer… that I could probably get for a dollar at happy hour.

I’ve put friends through high school, college, tech school, med school, and culinary school.

The ones that have gotten to me of late are the ones that just don’t stop and look at what they’ve gotten from me for free and have not said thank you. Not only have they not said thank you… they’ve acted as if I’ve wronged them! Now, don’t you all feel like I’m referring to you, because I’m not! Some of you DO thank me… and you are my friends…. And you keep me wearing the cape.

But some of you…. I’m a shakin’ my head again.

Think about what you got FOR FREE!!!

FREE.

Free.
Wow…

Irony…

I’m listening to Pink Floyd’s “Dogs”…. and at that sentence… the line was… “gotta admit; I’m a little bit confused; sometimes it seems to me as if I’m just being used.” Tell me that’s not irony….. or is it the curse?

But alas, back to the timing.

Maybe it’s all just timing. I listened to a conversation tonight between three single guys and two large breasted females looking to continue drinking after the bar closed. The three geniuses argued about where they were going while the two ample females swayed…and the final verdict came from the lasses, they were just going home because it was late. Now is that timing? Or karma? Or we’re they superheroes?

I don’t remember them from the meetings.

Maybe the answer comes from a very dear friend from my past. Her name was Sarah.

I will name a boat after her. It will be called the K Sera Sarah.

She died of breast cancer and she taught me that whatever will be, will be. She taught me to wear the cape. She taught me that life is ….well just life. It’s karma, it’s timing…. It’s random. It’s life. Suck it up Cindy.

I remember her from the meetings…

I’ll be funny again soon ‘Box….

I promise…

right after you put some pictures on this blog!

To the All You Can Eat Mobile!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

No curse Mr. Super Hero or Karma or bad timing it is called LIFE. As the people that go to my meetings say LIFE on LIFE's terms.

Is the glass half full or half empty?

Many of us would look at your super hero antics and be jealous! A full time job and all the responsibility that goes with it is sometimes not all it is cracked up to be.

So keep the cape on and the chin up. I truly believe that in the end we all get what we deserve and we will be wherever the end is a whole lot longer than where we are now.

cya in 3 weeks and I may even buy you a couple of beers as long as you keep let the mom moms go first.

Oh yeah keep going to those meetings!

cubster

Mom of Nipper said...

I believe that choice is key - and crappy is in the "eye of the doer". Crappy to you is obviously not crappy to them or they would have thought twice about doing it in the first place. Or I'd like to think that they would have. Thus their path of their own self destruction.

Obvious choices may not apper that way to all. The blind can't see and it appears that they may not be able to hear either. And how do you know if you've not won? Perhaps the losing is the "WIN" and it's just not obvious to you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a very strong believer in karma. I, however choose to blame the extremely bad time I'm having in my life right now not on wrong choices because every choice provides two sides of the coin ( bad marriage/beautiful daughter). I'm choosing to blame my bad karma on not returning every email that I've gotten in my internet life that swears that I will be blessed with nothing but good luck, rainbows and puppies if I just pass it along to 6 friends in 10 seconds. Thanks Lane!

Perhaps it's your choice of words my dear brother. Instead of "job" how about using the word "gift". I know there's always a loss of income thus the word job but maybe it'll make the ungreatfullness of others a little easier to shrug off. And in the end you're gaining in good karma pool. Some folks don't have "thank you" in their vocabulary and then some folks just can't seem to utter it in any showing of appreciation. Again choices.

So, keep up with the choices that you are making, hoping that to you the obviously good karma will make it to your pool, so you can sail on it in the K Sera Sarah, enjoying the ride.

My hope - to make a choice, whether I or others see it as obvious, right or wrong - and be smart enough to learn from the bad karma side and take advantage of the good. It's all just life in the end.

Love ya!

Beerman said...

Some excellent points!
After re-reading the post, I think I was just trying to get the message off to a select few and not considering the overwhelming number of acts that HAVE been appreciated.
I guess on this particular occasion I chose to see the cup as half empty instead of half full...which unfortunately I do sometimes...just ask 'Box!
I think that that happens to me sometimes because I so want to see the cup entirely full for my friends and me.
I will continue to wear the cape and try to whine a little less...
I prolly won't quit altogether...
maybe it's just MY kryptonite!

Anonymous said...

Bringing up Sarah brought a tear to my eye. She was a great person and I miss her dearly. She was one of the good ones...

kentucky bartender said...

All super heroes go thru this phase in their superhero career..karma may enter in, but choice is a big factor. I'm with Nise, most are just jealous of the things you have done and the ability you have.

I wish I knew half what you do, and to have the heart you possess. I think you have "kick me" monogramed on your cape or you wouldn't let others take advantage of your loving nature. Learn to say "NO" and mean it

The job....you gotta have one, society deems we all fall slave to the mighty dollar, or reside under the Punta Gorda bridge. You have the technology, you can rebuild yourself...so get out there and find a PAYING job. Don't let the villians of poverty and despair beat down the Beerman.......

reach out, take life by the kahonas, and keep letting mom-mom go first, you will be rewarded.

Anonymous said...

Haven't been to the meetings but I've managed to survive with the help of these lyrics:

" I've got dozens of friends and the fun never ends as long as I'm buying" - STYX

"If loving you is wrong, I don't want to be right" - B. Mandrell (I think)

"I'm a loser" - Little River Band

"Don't give up, don't ever give up" - J. Valvano

enjoying the blog Beerman!!

Anonymous said...

You know who I am, but I can not say. Every super hero needs a damsel in distress. Or else what would be the purpose of saving anyone. So I have designated myself as the official D.D. (a.k.a double D - a.k.a Damsel in Distress). Here for the soul purpose of bringing meaning to your superhero life. Oh yeh and Lunchbox too.
What ever it is Karma, Fate, Timing- it doesn't really matter because in the end it is all about choice. And you my dear dear friend have CHOOSEN to be BEERMAN and now you have no CHOICE to continue to be BEERMAN because the world has been exposed (oops) to you. And we now CHOOSE you to rescue us from our dull dreery uneventful lives. OK maybe not dreery. But you get the picture.
I spend my life being the clown, the "CRAZY" for the entertainment of others who are looking to forget. I know what it is to question or to have to be on all the time. I have to agree with your sister... YOU HAVE A GIFT. You make people laugh, you draw them into your wierd world and you are loved for it. You MUST SEE you make a difference. You must see that it is all worth while. If you can't, then find me and when you do look at the tears of joy in my eyes, listen (with your one good ear) to the gut busting laughter and know that when I run from the room screeching it is because I don't know if I can hold my water a minute longer. Or when I hurl over the sink it is because I fear the pepsi spewing from my nose will burn somehow.
You are a good man. You are BEERMAN! And you can sleeve my bottles anytime.
Have a funny day!!