Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Where Are My Bunny Ears?

How much do I love those spontaneous great days at the bar?

WonderTwin (my twin sister silly!) and I decided to try a day on the town at a new bar in the area. Brand new English Pub… just opened...I was betting I wouldn’t like it! After reading the draft list, I was POSITIVE I wouldn’t like it. Why is it that you can go to any bar in Europe and get a Budweiser on tap and for some reason these uppity English/Irish bars think it’s beneath them to have Bud as an option? It'll always make me shake my head.

The day started out just perfectly. Sometimes we plan functions and they just never measure up in the end. Other days we just all seem to be on the same wavelength without a single phone call.

WT and I met Eve/Eva/Paula/Patty and a new friend of hers at the English bar. We added Bruno soon afterwards. As a sheer stroke of luck we added my two favorite leprechauns after that. Karen and Mikey are friends from way back who I never get to see often enough. Karma must have brought us all together in the same place at the same time. I guess karma can be a good thing! I'm trying to stay positive.

As the experience progressed, people peeled off and others joined in. E/E/P/P and friend left and were immediately replaced by P & J, who I must say are a welcomed addition to our little group. (They will soon have superhero status, I’m sure).

The service was a little slow, but we managed to have fun anyway. There was lots to do and lots to see and discuss. All in all, I've decided that I like the bar.

I’m sure, y’all are wondering at this stage of the story…. Where O’ where is ‘Box?

He gets added to the mix soon!

We packed up our crew and decided it was time to head back to our side of the bridge. I was gonna get the handoff from WonderTwin to ‘Box. Of course this exchange would mean at least one more cold beverage for the core group that remained. We made the meeting place for the exchange at a midway point at a local outdoor backyard tiki deck which is always amongst my favorites. At this time we added the Pool Princess to the group.

Here’s where the story becomes an epic saga…

When I got there, ‘Box was sitting inside pretty much all alone. This is not normal Lunchbox behavior. His first words were, “you don’t want to go out there!” …

Apparently the deck was housing a birthday party of a rather different kind. It seems all the men were in pajamas and the women were wearing bunny tails and ears….

On the surface, that sounds right up ‘Box and my alley…

Until I got a look.

Even the inside bartender promised we’d be back. She offered to keep our tab open because she was so sure that we would return. We argued over custody of ‘Box and I told her she’d have to speak with my lawyer if she wanted to argue custody any further. I told her I'd be fair in developing joint custody but I would definitely need some support from her.

On to the outside…

Wow.

If these gals came from the Playboy mansion it must be the one in Boca. The one where everyone is on a rascal and no one has their original teeth. These were definitely ‘Olden Girls and were WELL past their prime. It was yet another surreal scene in the streets of Port Charlotte. Honestly… why do I pay for cable????

Within two minutes of entering the back deck, we were approached by a one legged man in a wheel chair screaming at us to discuss America and the war overseas. I’m all for the troops…but a drunken a-hole is a drunken a-hole! After “ignoring” him away, it was immediately replaced with a grandmother purging herself well within our range over the back railing. Mike and I went into Prince… “I only want to see you coughing up the purple rain” She was drinking red wine…. I had to go and see if I could find her teeth. After granny was done chunking up the Barney rainbow, she found her way back to her barstool and commenced to ordering some new replacement fluid and hording the extra pieces of cake left over from the party.

We eventually got joined by Jill and friend… I never hesitate to use Jill’s real name because she is so not the innocent I wish to protect.

It was such a fun night because the bathroom at the bar provides such a fun scenario… For some reason, this particular establishment has a soundtrack all it's own for the men's room. Every time I go, the selection turns out to be more and more "alternative" (for lack of a better term). My favorite from that night had to be Simply Red's "Holding Back The Years" which became "Holding Back the Ears" since by this time 'Box and I were both sporting bunny ears.

Next favorite had to be...

I am sooooo out of love and so lost without you J nay!

And we soo tricked J into believing she called Pizza Hut instead of me.

She did end up with a nice little tail and a permanent smile from the evening.

I love these gals because they know what fun is.

I need you girls to keep on leading the way! Pool Princess… E/E/P/P….Jill (ur REAL name)… J & P…

U are my superheroes!

I don’t watch soap operas… but I’m thinking you are my guiding light... or at least the Bold and the Beautiful!

Or you may just be sirens leading me towards the rocks?

Oh well... I like it on the rocks...

or straight up!

Oh wait…I forgot the rest of the bunny ears story!

DEFINITELY to be continued... with pictures...

right 'Box?

3 comments:

Mom of Nipper said...

We all know that fun times like the one we had that day can't be planned, bought or imagined. Now you know why I LOVE with a capital L O V E - my girlfriends. I only wish we could package it and give it away - the world would be much more enjoyable for sure.

Besides who doesn't need a little "Air Supply" when their kicking back a Budlite or 20 on a lovely Florida afternoon at the tiki bar? Only thing better would be a whole lotta disco.

If you need a pix of you and the Box with ears, let me know. I can surely figure out how to get the pix off my phone for all to enjoy. Only wish I had taken the one with J-nay getting tail.

Until the next meeting . . . .
SuperSis

Anonymous said...

The retelling of the adventures makes me laugh over and over. It is like watching reruns of your favorite show. Maybe I laugh so hard because I can picture your face when I am reading the words. You need to start putting pictures with the blogs so those who are not there to experience it first hand can see the images that are now burned into my memory forever. Oh yeh by the way thanks for that.
see you later
M&M

Beerman said...

Welcome to the show M&M.
So glad you finally showed up.
You know me well enough that the pictures will come when they come. Going to the procrastination meeting is on my list of things to do.