Thursday, May 22, 2008

Writing for the World to Change

Okay…

We are going to go road tripping tomorrow. I can only wonder what the music will be?

It’s going to be an adventure to say the least.

‘Box and I are setting forth. Queen Isabella from Portugal is financing the voyage. We will start from Florida and end in… well… somewhere. The New World? We are taking three ships. It’s the reverse of Ponce de Leon… the fountain of middle age?

Eventually it will end in either PA or NJ. At least I think so. It could be Kentucky, Tennessee or Canada. After all… I lack a sense of direction and I am a bad influence on ‘Box.

Wonder what Columbus felt like? I know it’s not nearly the same but I just have this feeling. He didn’t know where he was headed and neither do we. Oh sure… we have an idea but I’m sure it’s not gonna end up that way. Maybe we will find the West Indies or the Spice Girl Islands?

I’ve always been a little Karmac…and Karmac says this one will be one for the books. We will take pictures and attempt to post along the way.

Anyway…

Before we go… tonight’s discussion…

Which was the bigger death in music, Elvis or John Lennon?

Tough call…

Elvis was the King, and will always be the King. He’s been dead for 30 years and he still rules.

John Lennon was THE driving force in the Beatles. I still count Imagine as one of the best songs ever written.

I was outside the argument.

I LOVE Elvis.

I Love the Beatles.

But…

I’m stuck on Nirvana and Kurt Cobain. Don’t get me wrong… it was a chicken shit way to go out for him, but their music was every bit as influential as either of the aforementioned. Just listen to Nevermind or the Unplugged CD. Exactly who was the last power trio?

I think the biggest thing to me was the impact. We talked about it at the bar. Nirvana changed the shape of music.

I remember where I was when Elvis died and John Lennon…

And Kurt.

I wonder how many people are in this group? How many Elvis fans know who Kurt Cobain is, let alone where they were? Do we judge music by our generation?

And yet they all changed music. You can’t deny Elvis changed music, nor the Beatles. Would you argue that Nirvana did? Look into it and let’s discuss. They were the birth of grunge, the MTV re-revolution and a huge change in music. Pearl Jam owes Kurt. They had a bigger following. Ask Soundgarden or the Smashing Pumpkins or Stone Temple Pilots. They had more people camping out and lighting candles. Why do we downplay modern heroes? According to Little Feat… “They say … time loves a hero…but only time will tell… if he’s real, he’s a legend from heaven, if he ain’t he was sent here from Hell.” God Bless Lowell George… I’m not sure he doesn’t need to be included in this discussion.

Elvis spent all those years playing Vegas and just hanging on. John Lennon was in the discount rack at the end …both legends but past their importance.

Granted Kurt married a Hole… but there was still quality left…and then it was gone… by his own hand… What a waste?

Please chime in on this discussion. Is there someone else to be considered? Karen Carpenter maybe? Or John Lee Hooker? I’ll listen, I promise. Freddy Mercury comes to mind. Jerry and the Dead? How would Mick be viewed if he died early instead of hanging to his sixties? Buddy Holly? Maybe time curses a hero?

Ok…. The next discussion at the bar…

Title for the next Indiana Jones movie… or should it be a Florida Jones movie… old age and all.

Indiana Jones and the Rascal of Doom

Indiana Jones and the Lost Walker

Indiana Jones and the Adventures of the Lost Coffin

My favorite… Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the First Ark… he fights Moses, played by Abe Vigoda.

Is he gonna fight Rocky next? Or Jason?

Raiders of the Last AARP?

My next rant… How oh HOW did the Lifetime Channel pick Ashlee Simpson as their new spokesperson? Who exactly decided that women needed to see her as a role model???

Umm…pregnant, married to a rockstar, plastic surgery, lip synching….

Please find the person that made this decision and let me smack them.

Wow? Role model? Women should really try to be this.

Really?

I don’t think any woman should ever have plastic surgery. Beauty comes from inside. If you think a new nose or fake boobs makes you more desirable, you DESERVE the jackass that falls for you. Apparently he is as shallow as you are.


Next….

100 million votes for American Idol.

More than the 2004 presidential election.

I can’t add to that…

Presidential election/ Karaoke.

WTF?

When did bad TV get to be so important? Honestly, what has become of any American Idol? They are 2nd ring in the circus at best. Just behind Jeff Dahmer and Chuck Manson. Meanwhile the election has raised the price of gas to a fin and has allowed government to access all our personal info as a matter of “national” security… but we can’t text in our vote and they’re not singing covers of Beatles songs or dancing with washed up sports stars…. YES KRISTI YAMAGUCHI… u are washed up….

U weren’t until you decided to be a part of this….

Are you going to star in a sex tape with Screech next?

Didn’t you win an Olympic medal once? Wow… and Marion Jones is in jail. You both have become STELLAR examples for our young.

I’m willing to bet the crossover vote between the Idol and the president is less than 1%. Ask anyone who voted in the election who was in the Idol finals and vice versa and mail me a check…

Please don’t ask me the price of a stamp, because I’m sure it’s going the way of gas…

I think they are interconnected. When it becomes cheaper to drive the check to the creditor, they up gas… then it’s cheaper to mail it, so we up postage. Shouldn’t I enjoy getting screwed a little more?

I just realized I can’t afford the gas to mow my grass! Or the money to drive to get the gas to drive to get the gas to mow the grass.

When did we decide that we wanted to watch who dated Flavor Flav or Brett Michaels from Poison or someone dating a farmer or a wife swap or nannies or any kind of rehab.

When exactly did fact become stranger than fiction? I used to tune into TV to get AWAY from reality!

Honestly, why would anyone fight to date Bret Michaels or Flavor Flav? If it wasn’t on TV could either one of these clowns get any attention at a hooker convention in Vegas? Hells NO… look at the two of them. What is their contribution to society? How do I love thee… let me count the diseases…


Oh right…

Road trip in 2 hours….

I’ll try to provide pictures, commentary and evidence.

In the meantime… I’m waiting on the world to change.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Fungus.. Your blog goes great with morning coffee. Which means it precedes the morning dump. Are you okay with that?

Call me if your birfday party will be coming soon to a theater near me!

And be safe.

Anonymous said...

You are missing the obvious...Shelly Fabre (Johnny Angel) 1962....the best most influential song and aftist of the past 100 years. Also the Archies, Tony Orlando and finally....The New Kids On The Block. PURE GENIOUS!!! Have a nice trip boys and please BEHAVE!!!!

Bruno

Anonymous said...

Shooty and the Box if your road trip brings you anywhere near Boston you have a place to stay !!

Do not forget Lawrence Welk in your discussion of dead music icons "A ona and a twoa and a three"

Cubster

Mom of Nipper said...

Now come on, let's not forget the obvious one from our childhood - the Polish Prince . . . Mr. Bobby Vinton. Oh, Oh, no wait - how 'bout that other Prince guy that's just a symbol? "Here's yur sign"

Beerman said...

WonderTwin brought up a good point....

How could I leave out Sinatra?????

I mean really!

(hanging my head in shame)

Anonymous said...

What about Lynard Skynard???? What about the GREATEST of ALL time...Willie Nelson? Bob Dylan comes to mind, however he sounded like nails on a chalkboard. What about Nat "King" Cole...may not like his music, but had one the the SMOOTHEST voices ever recorded!
As for southern Rock....NOBODY has or ever will be more influential then Skynard.
Anyway, hope to here from you when you get up to Pa. We'll have to toss back a few

Anonymous said...

Unc.. I think in the middle of such bands as Boston, Pink Floyd, Stones, Zep, etc. Kiss was on to something much more than .. oh, lets say Journey, Styx, Kansas, etc.


Be careful..have fun..can you do both?
Mike, you got this situation under control?

Dad

Anonymous said...

Beerman
I was there for all of the discussions on this blog today and the only thing I can say is this...
If you did not have stupidity in the world, what would we have to discuss at the local watering hole?

Granted reality sucks! Especially when you are watching someone else's life. But how many times have you, me and the Box sat back and wet ourselves poking fun at the masses. JEEZE - CRAZY must come to the bar at least once a week. How could you not appreciate that. It's like the TRUEMAN SHOW but totally different.

As for music and who holds the rank for most influential I would have to say BAY CITY ROLLERS. Laugh if you must BUT remember this, they brought not only music to the world (as short lived as it was) BUT those great rainbow suspenders!!! Who out there didn't own a pair raise your hands.
OK put your hands down. ALL OF YOU.

It is Friday and I am going to miss you guys at the 9 o'clock hour. But I will do my best to keep the laughs flowing. Of course we will be laughing at you now that you are gone.

Damsel in Distress

Unknown said...

You got a reader in me with this post! It is honest and fantastic and very true!