Sunday, May 11, 2008

My Second Favorite Mother

So, it’s Mother’s Day and I have to give props to my second favorite mother of all time… Wonder Twin.

It doesn’t hurt that she is raising my favorite child of all time.
I’m blessed to be her godfather (Fungus Corleone) and the fact that she is the funniest 7 year old on the face of the planet doesn’t hurt either. I’m sure she gets that through my genes, no matter what her parents say.

I know bringing a child up in this town has to be hard. Just tonight I witnessed a father taking his 3 kids into the bar to pick up a to-go order. The bar was full and he thought nothing of setting his kids at the rail and buying them a root beer (which came in a brown bottle) while he drank an alcoholic drink. I was a little upset that the bartender allowed it to happen, especially in this town. The last time I checked there were 57 registered sex offenders within 5 miles of my house… while I am sometimes considered sexually offensive, I am not registered. In this town does a youngster need to learn how to sit at a bar?

This particular daddy, whose children I guessed at 6, 8, and 10, allowed his youngest to wander off to the bathroom under the guidance of the oldest while he sat and finished his drink. Does he not read the paper? I wondered about the qualifications necessary to be a parent. Personally, it was a major reason behind my divorce.

WonderTwin has done a tremendous job in raising this little ball of trouble
despite all the obstacles she meets on a daily basis.

The last time I checked, Florida was among the lowest ranking states in quality of education, yet this little girl currently sits at the top of her class in reading comprehension and math ability. She is a former Little Miss Hibiscus and is cute as an insect in a carpet. (Back me up here people…that’s why I allow comments!!!)

I just wanted to say how proud I am of my Sis. She knows that the only way to make this world a better place is to understand that children come first. I consider being a parent the most important job anyone could be given and she has done a wonderful job of it.

Happy Mother’s Day Sis.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

And a Happy Mother's day to you,
my dear friend!!!! Hang in there
and know that this too will pass!!
xoxox,
Eve

Anonymous said...

Your Wonder Twin is one of my favorite people in the world, too. Thanks for being a cool bro to her.

Pool Diva

Anonymous said...

Happy Mothers Day to Wonder Twin and Mrs C from Bridgewater, Massachusetts. Reading the blog and knowing the Beerman I can tell you that Mrs. C did an awesome job too! I guess I could wish a happy mothers day to the beerman too since I have heard him called a mother on a few occasions. (remember the last time we watched a Flyers playoff game together!)

Regards,

Cubby !!

ps the Nipper is even more adorable in person!!

Anonymous said...

Great post Dave! Happy Mothers Day to Wonder Twin and I like to think I contributed to your god-daughter's reading acumen (I gave her "Walter the Farting Dog" I do read your blog on occasion. Nice going.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day Wonder Twin. You are a fantastic mom and the Nipper is absolutely gorgeous. Keep up the great work.

Love

Bruno and Tennyetta

docturn said...

Happy Mother's Day Dee.

You're doing an amazing job given who and what you have to put up with. LOL Have the best of days, you've earned it.

Anonymous said...

How are an awesome mother and friend!! Happy momma's day!!!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet Mother's Day tribute to the Wonder Twin! The nipper is priveleged to have both twins in her life! Keep up the good (but hard) work.

KB

Anonymous said...

I don't have a brother or a "insect in my carpet" but if I did, I would want my brother and the uncle of my "insect" to be as wonderful as you!! Tear in my eye!! You are so right though, Nise is the greatest mom and my praise and admiration are all hers!!...I don't think I would be half of the most excellent parent that she is!!

Bridgie

kentucky bartender said...

Happy Mother's Day Nise. What a tribute from your brother!!! I think Alex is the greatest child too. I know it is hard raising kids, just look how my two turned out!!!LOL I think about you guys all the time, and I pray for your situation at home too. Love and kisses to the whole "Fungus" family. G